Saturday, April 07, 2007

It's a hard-knock life...

Nic took La so I could get a bit of gardening in, so I spent the afternoon lifting and dividing a number of plants and pulling out ones we're taking with us. I now have a lawn full of styrofoam crates that are planted with cuttings, divisions and iris we're taking so I'm feeling very nostalgic about moving and leaving our plants behind. Pretty much every plant in this garden except for the 90 year old rose was either chosen by my mother-in-law, Nic's grandfather, myself or Nic and has significance.

Of course, while doing all this work, what do you expect my faithful helpers were doing?

"Eh? She talking about us again?"

"Nah, couldn't be."

"Can you believe she made us MOVE?!? I mean, seriously, like she couldn't find somewhere else to weed and prune and dig than our patch of sunshine?!?"
And last but not least one of Miss Hope looking rather grown up. I'm TRYING to teach the little turkey to put her ears up like this for the show ring. It's so annoying because her natural tendancy is to put them up but more to the sides when she alerts, which isn't incorrect but not as flattering on her imo.

Oh, to answer Kristie's question from my last post, the breeds of sheep we're thinking of are Border Leicester, Finnsheep and Corriedale... though at this point it's more likely Corriedales are my choice, or maybe Corridale composites with Finnsheep for higher lambing rates and BL's for growth. (And ME, being a real estate agent for someone?!? Gosh that's a scarey thought! I don't know what the heck I'm doing with my property!!! LOLOL)

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Ooooh.. I like Corriedales... :D I'll have to look up Finnsheep though!

Haha... I'm not even in the market for a house (lack of money and all) so there is no rush for you to scratch up your skills ;)

Amanda O. said...

Corriedales are my fav atm too!

Finnsheep are also known as Finnish Landrace. They have a soft, silky wool that feels like mohair but is easier to spin. They come in a lot of colours including spotted but what they're known for most is being good mums and having LOTS of lambs. They have specially adapted genes for multiples and can have as many as 9 lambs per lambing, though 3-4 is more average! Here's some cute pics!
http://www.finnsheep.org/Kinne_piebald.jpg http://www.finnsheep.org/sparky_3wks.jpg http://www.finnsheep.org/WC_brownlamb.jpg http://www.finnsheep.org/WC_fawnlamb.jpg