Sunday, August 09, 2009

Newfound admiration for mums of multiples...

Well after the enthusiasm of having new lambs, there is also the reality and that reality is that sometimes things go wrong. Last night Soot, mother of Stella and Luna, was attacked and killed. It was horrific and I'm undecided how to deal with it, so that's all I'm going to say on that topic atm.

My vet Dr. Cook is one of natures good souls. It took me 2 years to find him after moving but he reminds me why I love him every time I deal with him. I rang him first thing on a Sunday morning on his mobile to query about milk replacer and better ointment for Luna's eye since our stock store is closed on the weekends. Bless him he just said no worries, he'd meet me at the clinic in half an hour. When I got back Stella and Luna were hungry enough it didn't take them anytime to figure out the bottle and are doing well being a few days old and having had the benefits of colostrum the first few days, small blessings.

Our morning wasn't over yet though. Checking in on the ewes DH discovered Rommie, Boo's lamb, cold and unresponsive. Her mum is a first time mum and hadn't been feeding her. So Rommie got bundled in a towel with heat packs near the fireplace as we coaxed her to take some milk replacer.It's amazing how they can go from looking like they're at deaths door and after a few hours and a bottle they seem almost normal. With three bottle babies and a 4 month old human pretty much someone is always hungry... but as they say necessity is the mother of invention...

Looks like it's set to be a busy few days until they're doing well enough to put on a bucket.

2 comments:

Lucy C said...

That second photo should be on the ABA website. Fantastic.

katepickle said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry you lost your mama sheep!!! Your lambs are SO gorgeous tho and so lucky to have a good surrogate mother! If you ever need someone to foster a lamb we'd be more than happy too...